OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach medications and C. difficile infections (CDI). “If the regulator cannot or will not act in the public interest then it falls to policy makers to advance the public interest and adjust the mandate of the regulator.” Today, I wish to draw attention to research that further links these medications with increased risk ....[click here for full story]
OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A study by the Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance Program (CNISP) would get to the bottom of it. It didn’t. The study presented in 2007 failed to collect data on the PPI issue. (Amazingly it purports to be the most extensive review on the subject in North America and useful as a ....[click here for full story]
On April 7th, 2014 Dr James Lunney Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni tabled Motion M501. It reads: That, in the opinion of the House, the government, in concert with provincial and territorial partners, should develop a National Strategy for Innovation, Effectiveness and Cost-effectiveness in Sustainable Health Care that: 1) Establishes regional centers for collaborative research and experimentation with innovative models that:(a) focus on effectiveness and cost-effectiveness, (b) are collaborative and interdisciplinary in character, (c) team up integrative medicine with allied professions, (d) utilize optimized information technology to document outcomes, (e) foster competition for better health care ....[click here for full story]
- “Wait For Me Daddy”: Iconic Moment Cast in Bronze October 6, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Ottawa: Dr James Lunney, Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni, rose in the House to draw attention to the momentous event associated with unveiling of a “Wait for me Daddy” monument at Hyack Square in New Westminster … Continue reading →
- Lunney Speaks to ISIS threat, Commends Canadian Forces September 25, 2014Ottawa, ON: Today, Dr. James Lunney, MP for Nanaimo-Alberni, stood in the House of Commons to address the threat of ISIS and Canada’s role in containing the threat. In the House, Lunney said: “There has been a lot of rhetoric … Continue reading →
- Health Canada – C. difficile Further Concerns – Promising Solutions Regulatory Failure – Policy Action May 14, 2014OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach … Continue reading →
- Innovation, Effectiveness, Cost-effectiveness for Sustainable Health Care May 8, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OTTAWA, On: Dr. James Lunney, MP for Nanaimo-Alberni, stood in the House of Commons today to comment on his Motion 501, a National Strategy to achieve sustainable healthcare. In the House he said: “Motion 501 is about … Continue reading →
- Hospital Infections, Drugs, Deaths What is Wrong with Health Canada? April 30, 2014OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A … Continue reading →
- Death of a Canadian Armed Forces Member October 21, 2014On October 20, 2014, two members of the Canadian Armed Forces were injured in a hit-and-run incident in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. One member later died in hospital.
- Visits to Poland, the Netherlands and Belgium October 21, 2014Governor General to Undertake Visits to Poland, the Netherlands and Belgium....
- Public Service Commission tables annual report - increased hiring in a smaller public service October 21, 2014The Public Service Commission's (PSC) 2013-2014 Annual Report was tabled today in Parliament. The Annual Report comprises two volumes: The first provides an overview of its activities and the second contains seven audit reports.
- Tribunal Issues Report on the Impact of Canadian Anti-Dumping and Countervailing Measures October 21, 2014The Canadian International Trade Tribunal issued a report highlighting the impact of Canadian anti-dumping and countervailing measures on domestic shipments, investments, employment and imports from 1989 to 2013.
- Minister of State Gosal to Speak at Event to Announce Canada's Sports Hall of Fame Inductees October 21, 2014TORONTO The Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport), will speak during an event on Wednesday to announce the 2014 inductees to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.
- “Wait For Me Daddy”: Iconic Moment Cast in Bronze October 6, 2014