OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach medications and C. difficile infections (CDI). “If the regulator cannot or will not act in the public interest then it falls to policy makers to advance the public interest and adjust the mandate of the regulator.” Today, I wish to draw attention to research that further links these medications with increased risk ....[click here for full story]
OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A study by the Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance Program (CNISP) would get to the bottom of it. It didn’t. The study presented in 2007 failed to collect data on the PPI issue. (Amazingly it purports to be the most extensive review on the subject in North America and useful as a ....[click here for full story]
On April 7th, 2014 Dr James Lunney Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni tabled Motion M501. It reads: That, in the opinion of the House, the government, in concert with provincial and territorial partners, should develop a National Strategy for Innovation, Effectiveness and Cost-effectiveness in Sustainable Health Care that: 1) Establishes regional centers for collaborative research and experimentation with innovative models that:(a) focus on effectiveness and cost-effectiveness, (b) are collaborative and interdisciplinary in character, (c) team up integrative medicine with allied professions, (d) utilize optimized information technology to document outcomes, (e) foster competition for better health care ....[click here for full story]
- “Wait For Me Daddy”: Iconic Moment Cast in Bronze October 6, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Ottawa: Dr James Lunney, Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni, rose in the House to draw attention to the momentous event associated with unveiling of a “Wait for me Daddy” monument at Hyack Square in New Westminster … Continue reading →
- Lunney Speaks to ISIS threat, Commends Canadian Forces September 25, 2014Ottawa, ON: Today, Dr. James Lunney, MP for Nanaimo-Alberni, stood in the House of Commons to address the threat of ISIS and Canada’s role in containing the threat. In the House, Lunney said: “There has been a lot of rhetoric … Continue reading →
- Health Canada – C. difficile Further Concerns – Promising Solutions Regulatory Failure – Policy Action May 14, 2014OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach … Continue reading →
- Innovation, Effectiveness, Cost-effectiveness for Sustainable Health Care May 8, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OTTAWA, On: Dr. James Lunney, MP for Nanaimo-Alberni, stood in the House of Commons today to comment on his Motion 501, a National Strategy to achieve sustainable healthcare. In the House he said: “Motion 501 is about … Continue reading →
- Hospital Infections, Drugs, Deaths What is Wrong with Health Canada? April 30, 2014OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A … Continue reading →
- Reminder - Baird and Minister Yelich to Meet with UN Envoy on Human Rights in Iran October 30, 2014Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird and the Honourable Lynne Yelich, Minister of State (Foreign Affairs and Consular), will meet with Ahmed Shaheed, UN Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Reminder - Minister Fast to Meet with U.S. and Mexican Counterparts for North American Competitiveness Conference October 30, 2014The Honourable Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade, will meet with Penny Pritzker, U.S. Secretary of Commerce, and Ildefonso Guajardo Villarreal, Mexico's Secretary of Economy, at the North American Competitiveness and Innovation Conference 2014 on Friday, October 31, 2014, in Toronto.
- Minister Paradis Announces Canada's Support for World Food Programme's School Feeding Program in Madagascar October 30, 2014Today, the Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, announced Canada's continued support for the Madagascar school feeding program of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP).
- Harper Government Invests in Round II Recreational Fisheries Conservation Projects in Okanagan-Coquihalla October 29, 2014October 29, 2014 - Merritt, British Columbia Member of Parliament Dan Albas, on behalf of the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, today announced that, under the second round of the Recreational Fisheries Conservation Partnerships Program, the Government of Canada will provide $55,000 to the Steelhead Society of British Columbia to conserve fish […]
- HMCS Athabaskan returns home from Operation CARIBBE October 29, 2014The media are invited to attend the homecoming ceremony of Her Majesty's Canadian Ship (HMCS) Athabaskan, returning from a seven-week deployment in the Caribbean basin and the eastern Pacific Ocean on Operation CARIBBE on October 30, 2014.
- “Wait For Me Daddy”: Iconic Moment Cast in Bronze October 6, 2014